Sinn Féin Councillor Sharon Duddy has called for the emergency repair of lights in the Gartan Square area of the Bogside with the flats complex there being plunged into darkness at night time.
Councilllor Duddy said “When I got the call from a local resident, I thought it was street a light needing repaired but was shocked to see the entire upper balcony, the walkway and stairs in complete darkness.
“It’s of paramount importance that these lights are repaired as soon as possible. In the event of a fire this is the only way out of this upper floor. It’s also very dangerous for anyone using the stairs as you can’t see a few feet in front of you. And unfair for residents having to live in such conditions.
“I will be in contact with the Housing Executive and Transport NI to see if we can get a speedy resolution to this.