Sinn Féin Councillor Tony Hassan has said urgent action is required in regards to the future of the traveller’s community centre at Ballyarnett.
He said: “We have been warning about the potential for incidents like that which took place on Saturday for some time now.
In July of last year myself and party colleague Maeve McLaughlin MLA called on the Department of Social Development and Derry City Council to look at whether they could come to some agreement on the future of this building. Maeve also had a number of meetings with the various departments in relation to the Ballyarnett site and she will now be bringing this up with the Minister.
This community centre has been lying dormant out here for nearly three years and to date nothing has come out of this which would see a long-term resolution to bringing it back into use for the benefit of the local Travelling population.
It is ridiculous the building has been left like this .It is going to waste and now has become the target of vandals.