Homes evacuated at Benvarden Avenue following fears of fire – Jackson

Sinn Féin Councillor Christopher Jackson speaking after an incident on Thursday night at the Benvarden Avenue in the Waterside following the discovery of an electrical fire which was close to a gas line in the area.

Speaking from the Chapel Road community centre, which was being used a rest centre, Cllr Jackson said,

“Following the discovery of a fire, which at this stage was suspected to have been started by an underground electrical wire, houses in the Benvarden Avenue area were evacuated as a precaution.

“The Chapel Road Hall was opened up for residents during this time. Thankfully NIE identified the fault and worked as quickly as they could to resolve it and residents were able to return to their homes.

Ends