Residents have lucky escape in malicious fire at Gartan Square –Kelly

Sinn Féin Councillor Colly Kelly has said residents living in top floor flats at Gartan Square in the Bogside had a lucky escapeon Friday night  after a malicious fire was started in a bin shed adjacent to the end flat and main stairway from the complex.12417717_991760064229707_7920259328183140477_n 12573856_986790758043655_8591208694156427842_n

Councillor Kelly said “The residents living in the top row of the flats had a very lucky escape tonight. This fire was started in the shed at the end of the row which houses the bins for local residents. Flames engulfed the stairway and smoke entered a number of homes.

I would like to commend those who raised the alarm and ultimately have saved lives here.

I attended the scene with a representative of Community Restorative Justice (CRJ) to help residents in whatever way we could.Residents are very angry and still in shock.

We have been trying to address a number problems of anti-community activity in and  around the area over the past few weeks.

I will be hosting a multi-agency meeting along with residents as a matter of urgency. Anyone who has information in relation to this incident should bring it forward to the PSNI straight away.