Sinn Féin Councillor Patricia Logue has said there is shock in the local community following an early morning fire at the newly opened Destined building on Foyle Road in Derry.
The Derry-based charity Destined supports people with learning disabilities.
Councillor Logue said “There is shock in the local community on hearing the news that there has been a fire which has caused a lot of internal and smoke damage to the new Destined building on Foyle Road.
“The centre provides the provision of education, training and employment, as well as social and recreational activities for the learning-disabled community. It also just recently opened a lovely new café on the ground floor overlooking the river which is always very busy and well supported by people from right across the city.
“I offer my full support to Dermot and all the staff and users of the services there and hope that they can get things back up and running again as soon as possible.