Tragedy averted in Ballymagroarty -McGinley

Sinn Féin Councillor Eric McGinley has described as reckless the lighting of a fire in the back garden of a house in Ballymagroarty.

Cllr. McGinley said: “On Friday afternoon a young family had a lucky escape when household items in their back garden were set alight.   The resulting fire led to the exterior window of a rear bedroom exploding with only the double glazing preventing injury to a small child who was in the room at the time.

This type of random vandalism may appeal to those responsible but it was only good fortune which prevented this incident from becoming a real tragedy and I would caution those involved to be aware of the serious implications of their actions and to refrain from any repeat.”